Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Plight of the Paint Off

Yesterday I traveled to Brownwood Texas to participate in my first ever, paint off. It was an interesting experience, fun, but slightly stressful, mostly due to old ladies coming up and talking to me asking me annoying questions when I had an hour left to finish my piece.

There were 22 entries, and about 10 of those were landscapes, five were still lifes, five were traditional portraits, one of a yorkie, and then there was mine.
A traditional portrait painted from a photograph done in oils won second, and a landscape done in pastels won first. I may not have won, but I certainly heard a lot of buzz while I was painting, it probably helped that my piece was about three times the size of every one elses. And it sold! So I'm happy, for 150$ the most I've ever sold something for, so hey I'm happy.

I actually don't know if I like it all that much, I want to do it again, more planned out, and accurate. But hey its not too bad for six hours of total time from painting, to concept. Normally I think about what I want to paint before I start, but in this case, I walked in with a 4'x3' painting with out of clue as to what I wanted to paint. And this is what I left for the nice lady which she bought for her daughter.

Passive Aggressive 3: Plight of Womanhood


No comments: